Senator Conway: Please Stand with Working Families to Support Our Jobs, Economic Recovery, and Transportation Funding.
Please urge Senator Conway to stand with working families and REJECT the LCFS – House Bill 1091 – to support our jobs, economic recovery, and transportation funding.
Lawmakers in Olympia have proposed a new costly and ineffective fuel mandate for Washington—known as a low carbon fuel standard, or LCFS—that studies show could add up to 57 cents per gallon to the cost of gasoline,1while providing NO revenue for critical transportation infrastructure improvements and providing NO significant emissions reductions.1,2,3,4
And while studies have shown that an LCFS would place enormous cost burdens on Washington families and businesses,5 it is estimated that more 70% of the costs of complying with an LCFS—hundreds of millions of dollars every year—would likely go to out-of-state or foreign fuel producers.6 In California and Oregon, up to 75% of compliance costs for LCFS went to fuel producers in other states in 2019.6
LCFS is the wrong policy for Washington. Senator Conway needs to hear from you—please take action today to let him know that Washington working families can’t afford this costly and ineffective fuel mandate. Please click below to use the email tool to add your voice today to the growing number of Washington citizens, employers, farmers, organizations and families who are opposing the costly, regressive and ineffective fuel policy.
- ICF, “Puget Sound Regional Transportation Fuels Analysis,” September 2019 (prepared for Puget Sound Clean Air Agency).
- California Legislative Analyst’s Office, “Assessing California’s Climate Policies – Transportation,” December 2018.
- Life Cycle Associates LLC, “A Clean Fuel Standard in Washington State,” December 2014 (prepared for Washington State Office of Financial Management).
- Washington Governor Jay Inslee, Policy Brief, “Powered by Innovation, Washington Can Fight Back Against Climate Change,” December 2018.
- Stillwater Associates, LLC, “Comments on the ICF Report and PSCAA Clean Fuel Standard,” November 13, 2019 (prepared for Western States Petroleum Association).
- Stillwater Associates, LLC, “West Coast LCFS Credits Generated by Fuels Produced Out-of-State,” October 20, 2020.